You are not logged in. Please login or register.
As a new user to Magento I installed it to my domain as domainname.co.uk/magento/ so I could play around with it. I'm now ready to start using it properly, and want to set it to the root directory. Can I simply move it, or can I delete it and reinstall? What's best and what is the procedure needed?
Thanks in advance for your help.
This is a several step process thats not too hard to do (or if you raise a support ticket (http://www.nublue.co.uk/web-hosting/contact-us) we'll do it for you this once!) :
1) Backup your site in your hosting control panel (Login -> Home -> domainname -> Backup -> Backup Now). Wait for this to complete!
2) Enter the File Manager and navigate to inside your magento directory (File Manager -> httpdocs -> magento )
3) Select everything (Ensure "All" is selected on the right and then click the Select All checkbox at the top of the checkbox list)
4) Click on "Copy/Move"
5) In the text box delete "magento/" to leave "httpdocs/"
6) Click "Move"
7) Voila! The files are now moved.
You now need to update the baseURLs within Magento so Magento knows its moved.
8) Open up PHPMyAdmin, note that this opens in a new window so your pop-up blocker may intervene (Databases -> Database Name -> DB Webadmin)
9) Click on the table "core_config_data" on the left hand side navigation.
10) Click on the "Search" tab then set the "Path" drop down to "Like %...%" and enter "secure" and then click Search
11) Using the pencil hyperlink to edit, change any fully qualified urls to remove "magento/" from them and save as you go. Its likely you'll have a list of 10 or so entries and you'll only need to change 2.
12) Refresh your Magento Cache (HCP -> Home -> Domainname -> Refresh magento cache)
Voila, you really have finished now!
If you run into any problems don't hesitate to contact us, but the one step you must do is step 1. If you can't make a backup first, then don't proceed.
Thanks for your response and help.
Have a great day.